Menu

A

A

Using our Jesse Tree during Lent? …by Susie

Ok RaisingDeepRoots readers!  This is one of those times I’m going to ask for your input.  I have a vague idea of a devotional idea to do with the kiddos during Lent but the details are hazy.  Yes, I know, I’m a week late…what else is new?  Of course, do I let that stop me?  NO!  Because 25 days of Lenten devotions instead of 40 is better than none!  Are you sick of hearing my intentional parenting mantra yet? 🙂

So here’s the deal.  I’ve been wanting to do a ‘cradle to the cross’ type devotional with the boys as a way to remind us that although our Jesse Tree devotions ended with the birth of Jesus, we know that’s not the end of the Christmas story but rather the very beginning of God’s redemptive story.  That little baby lying in a manger ultimately grew up and showed us the definition of love and sacrifice by dying on the cross to save us…

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:5-11

So this is what I have.  Our dried up, yellowing Jesse Tree that I saved from Christmas!

Lent Tree2

And I have a great pair of pruning shears with which, I have great confidence, I can prune this tree back so that it resembles a cross.  How can I use the cradle to cross theme, and this dried up tree in the days leading up to solemn Good Friday and then our glorious Easter celebration?

I’d love your input. Share your ideas, scripture references, any thing at all that comes to mind! I’m excited to see what God does with our collective brainstorm 🙂

Bless you for sharing here and being part of our little community that seeks to encourage and equip one another to raise up children with deep roots in the Word of God and in the Person of Jesus!

Susie

Using our Jesse Tree during Lent? …by Susie

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:5-11

Lent Tree2

Susie

13 Comments

mightcouldbe

22 February , 2013 at 3:41 am

There's a song: Christmas has its cradle; Easter has it's Cross. Craig has cut of the extras (Read John 15?) Then make a Cross and hang stuff on the hooks. e

raisingdeeproots

22 February , 2013 at 4:23 am

I was not familiar with that hymn before. Thank you! Ah yes..John 15 is perfect. Hmm... love to you!

Lisa Murphy

22 February , 2013 at 10:17 pm

I had a smiliar idea about pruning the tree during the days of lent - symbolically pruning ourselves to be closer to God/growing to be more like Christ, ending with the cross by Easter. I'm not sure how boys would take this, but then saw the naked tree adorned with a big white Easter bow. :) During the pruning, depending on what your lenten commitment is, you could even prune as you keep your commiments. Each day of fasting from or each day of feasting on....prune the tree. Maybe even in conjunction with a ceratin behavior in the moment - ex - helping a family member with a chore - go prune the tree. Abstaining from a food item - go prune the tree when you might usually have it. John 15:1-2

Susie

23 February , 2013 at 2:04 am

Lisa! Love it!! Thank you!!!

raisingdeeproots

7 March , 2013 at 1:45 am

Dear readers, we wanted to share with you some of the great ideas that were posted on our FB page but didn't find their way here! Kellye, my sweet friend Jennifer had a great idea that might work for your friend Susan. 'When someone in the family does something to bless you, you write it on the "fruit" and hang it on the "tree". We are going to do it leading up to Easter.' If I copy Jenn's idea we might focus on sacrifices and write down ways that someone sacrificed for us.

raisingdeeproots

7 March , 2013 at 1:45 am

another one: Off the top of my head I'm thinking of molding the tree into cross. As you mold it whether it's fast or slow talk about how God molds us into who he wants us to be. The final outcome is the cross of Christ which represents our ideal selves. People who walk with Christ and are willing to lay down our sin at the cross so we can be who He made us to be.

raisingdeeproots

7 March , 2013 at 1:50 am

Another idea from a fabulous reader: I think this is a great idea... I always love infusing Easter themes into Christmas, and vice versa... After all, it reminds me that it is all related!!! We always read the three trees (and/or watch the DVD cartoon), and sometimes there is the veggie takes Easter story, and a more recent fiction addition has been The Fire Fish...it's a parallel story of what three little fish in the sea experience during the same time period of Israel's deliverance out of Egypt....and of course, who can turn down The Prince of Egypt? I have not found a kid-friendly devotional, but I would like to take a look at the 13 stations in art-paintings this year w/ baby girl. I think each piece would have much to talk about and discuss. This mommy is also praying that the gospel clicks this year, especially since baby girl has gotten to see a few kids get baptized this year! in God's perfect timing though...

raisingdeeproots

7 March , 2013 at 1:50 am

They just keep on coming! Ooh- I have a very specific memory of one Christmas when, at Christmas Eve service, family after family removed ornaments and branches off a Christmas tree...revealing a cross underneath! It was so magical to me! Despite the cross being such a simple thing, the ugliness of it (symbolically) really forged the two holidays together for me.

raisingdeeproots

7 March , 2013 at 1:52 am

Thanks Kelly T for this idea! I don't have anything yet, but all I hear in my head reading about cradle to cross is the song I sang with Lacy this Christmas 'He Made A Way In A Manger'.... to make a way to the cross. So, if ya like songs to be incorporated, there is one:)

raisingdeeproots

12 March , 2013 at 6:20 am

Check out this Resurrection Tree idea from To Show Them Jesus: http://toshowthemjesus.com/2013/02/28/teach-me-jesus-thursdays-the-resurrection-tree/ Perfect don't you think? Susie

raisingdeeproots

12 March , 2013 at 6:21 am

Oh oh, here is another one ideas. This one is from Hive Resources~make a New Life Tree http://hiveresources.com/ministry-monday-how-to-teach-your-kids-about-new-life-with-a-new-life-tree/ Susie

Christina

12 March , 2013 at 10:39 am

We have loved doing a Resurrection Tree. It's a great way to remind the kids of why Jesus came and what He came to do. I love what you are doing here!

Melissa Deming

12 March , 2013 at 1:19 pm

Thank you for sharing my post! Also, check out When You Rise's curriculum she wrote (for free!) called the Cradle to the Cross - it's an Easter guide for families and it sounds like it might be right up your alley! Thanks for visiting my site! Blessings on you and your ministry!